Wednesday, April 29, 2009

¡Munich, Germany!

I wasn't really sure what to expect from Munich. I didn't know much about the city, but I knew I was interested in exploring a German city. And I'm so glad it turned out to be Munich. It's located in Bavaria, which is in southern Germany, on the Austrian border. At first, I couldn't determine how I felt about it. Many of the buildings were modern, and it seemed to be just like any ole city. But as we explored, the more I realized that wasn't the case.



The first day we were there, we were pretty tired from traveling (as always), so we went to lunch, took a nap at the hostel, and then went out for dinner. It was fun-- we went to a traditional beer hall, and there was a group of men in lederhosen (or traditional leather shorts and suspenders)! They were singing and talking and enjoying each other company. The tables are designed to encourage people to talk-- they are long, and people from different parties sit with each other. (Think a Japanese grill minus the grill.) It had a great atmosphere, and it was a great way to start our time in Munich.

We really had no specific plans for the next day. There were a couple of things that we had read about and that we wanted to check out, but we just decided to walk around the city and see what we found. We climbed a tower for views of the city and the Alps (which is an activity I've found to be popular in many cities). Once again, it was worth the hike.



Afterward, we headed to the Englischer Garten, which is supposed to be bigger than Central Park in New York. It was a beautiful day, so there were a ton of people there. They were picnicking, sunbathing, relaxing, playing frisbee... We found this beer garden and decided to eat lunch there. It was packed, but it was so relaxing. We spent a good while there. Then we moved to a spot on the grass by a stream. It was great just to lie under the trees and let the sun shine down on us. :)




The next day, my friend Alison and I were supposed to go the real Cinderella castle. That's right, the one that Disney modeled the one in DisneyWorld after. But unfortunately, it didn't work out, so we went to an art museum that housed several Rubens. :D The rest of the day was spent wandering again. Enjoying the city, the people, the food. :) So in the end, we didn't sightsee very much, but we did see (and learn) a lot. ;)


4 comments:

  1. So um Abbie? Who is the cute boy with his arm around you in the pic? I don't know if **n would like that LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was waiting for someone to bring that up... ;) But he's just a friend!

    And Tiff, **n is not discreet! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh ok! :-) HAHA I thought I was being a little sly on that one (**N) though....oh well :-D

    By the way I will be back in Alabama from Puerto Rico on the 20th of June so we will have to get together

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most definitely! Lasagna Night!!

    ReplyDelete