Sunday, March 1, 2009

Mi Familia Española

Today was a very lazy day. But that's what Sundays are in Spain-- days to rest. My house-mom's daughter, son-in-law, and granddaughter came over for lunch (as they often do), and then all of us relaxed in la sala. I love spending time with them. The granddaughter is three and a half and is absolutely adorable. She's also quite animated and stubborn. ;) This afternoon, the daughter looked at me and said, "Our family is crazy." I laughed and said, "I love it! My family is crazy, too!" When they left, my house-mom invited me to ride with her to her niece's to pick something up, and on the way, she came up with the idea to take me on a personal tour of Sevilla. She drove around to the different sections and showed me "points of interest," telling me about them. She took me to places I haven't been to before and that I probably would never have seen had it not been for her. I've said this before, but all of Spain is gorgeous at night. I know I looked like a kid in a candy store! After, instead of going home and cooking, my house-mom suggested that we stop at a restaurant and share some tapas. It was so nice-- the Betis (a Sevillian team) fútbol game was playing in the background, the food she picked was awesome (obviously, I wasn't going to order! I had no idea...), and the conversation was light. I totally lucked out when it comes to host families. Other students have said that they are happy with their families, but it's easy to tell that ours is different. Our house-mom is constantly telling my roommate and me that it is our house just as much as hers. We don't speak Spanish that well, and I know that it has to be frustrating for them to talk to us at times, but they always insist that it isn't a problem. They go out of their way to include us in all conversations, even when the topic of discussion doesn't pertain to us. I don't know how we got so lucky... I don't have many pictures yet, but I promise to post more as soon as I can! ¡Hasta luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment