Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Little Things...

¡Hola a todos! Below are just a few things I've noticed and/or just wanted to mention about my stay in Sevilla so far.

1) Even though a bunch of people told me before I left that it didn't rain much in my study abroad destination, it's rained every day here in England--I mean Sevilla--since I arrived. (Haha, just kidding.) It's cool, though-- I know that soon it's going to be sunny and warm. :)

2) People wear their wedding rings on their right hands. Someone told me it's because they consider that their lucky hand. No sé.

3) I haven't seen any stores, houses, schools, etc., with carpet. None whatsoever. Must have to do with those Andalusian summers.

4) If you know me, you know I'm not a picky eater, but there are some things that I just refuse to try in the States. But here, I'm determined to try food that I probably would never try otherwise. For example, I had a tapa one night that was a sandwich with dried salmon, queso blanco (not to be confused with that processed white cheese crap at home), and an anchovy. Yep, anchovy. I've also had octopus. :)

5) The skill of parallel parking is an absolute necessity for anyone who drives a car. And the locals have it down-- they do it quickly and effortlessly, fitting into a tiny space that nobody at UAB would ever dream of being able to fit into.

6) I have an awesome schedule-- 2 classes on Monday and Wednesday from 4 PM - 7 PM, and 2 classes on Tuesday and Thursday from 9 AM - 12 PM. So essentially, my weekend starts at 12 on Thursday and doesn't end until 4 on Monday. :D

7) My favorite seat on the bus is in the very back, on the left across from the back door. Right in front of that seat, there are 2 sets of seats that face each other, and there is usually a group of Spanish students or older ladies that sit there. I like to listen to their conversations and see what I can understand. :)

8) Almost everybody here smokes. And it's legal to smoke inside, as long as the owner of the establishment allows it.

9) It doesn't get light here until between 8:30 and 9 AM. It's really weird to leave my house at 8 AM to get to my class and have the streetlamps still shining.

I'll post again soon with an update on classes and stuff! ¡Chau!

No comments:

Post a Comment